University Park, PA 16802
- The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- M.F.A. in Creative Writing—Fiction; Concentration in American Literature (2011)
- Thesis: The Pleasures of Drought and Flood: Stories
- Adviser: Prof. Charlotte Holmes
- Smith College, Northampton, MA
- B.A. in English Language and Literature, Spanish minor (2002)
Rachel Bara grew up on the Jersey shore where she often tramped through the marsh, scrambled up the dunes, and ate cranberries straight from the bogs. A graduate of the M.F.A. program at Pennsylvania State University, she received an Institute of Arts and Humanities Summer Residency in 2010.
She has taught Introduction to Fiction Writing, Introduction to Creative Writing, Rhetoric and Composition, Basic Writing Skills, Technical Writing, and Writing in the Social Sciences. After tutoring in Penn State's writing center, she became fascinated with English language acquisition and its implications for composition classes. From fall of 2009 to summer 2011, Bara co-led a teen writing group at a local youth shelter.
Her academic interests include early American literature and periodical culture, early 20th century ethnographic writing, nature writing, and historical fiction.